…one that we make over and over and over…
As much as I love cooking and am constantly inspired to try new recipes from Southern Living magazine (I have ripped out nine thousand recipes over the years that I’d like to try making), I am working on not feeling disappointed when my best is something that is in our usual rotation (that bar is set high for me after how much time I spent cooking during the pandemic, still working on bringing it down)…but we seriously cannot have enough of these cashew chicken lettuce wraps! I first found this recipe while I was pregnant in a cookbook I bought called The Feel-Good Pregnancy Cookbook: 100 Nutritious and Delicious Recipes for a Healthy 9 Months and Beyond (this is not an affiliate link). I have adapted it slightly – the recipe suggests that it can also be made with tempeh, but I am personally not a fan of tofu. Buy the cookbook if you are! 🙂
I haven’t been to PF Chang’s in safely over a decade, but these are a replica of my delicious memory. If you want leftovers or you’re cooking for more than 3 people, I highly recommend doubling this recipe – the leftovers rock.
Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Serves 4 | Serving size is 2-3 lettuce wraps
Prep: 25 minutes | Cook: 35 minutes
- olive oil
- (1/2) yellow onion, diced
- (1/2 C) carrots, diced (about 2-3 carrots)
- (1) red bell pepper, seeded & diced
- (3 cloves) garlic, minced
- (1 lb) ground chicken
- (2 TB) soy sauce
- (1 TB) rice vinegar
- (1 tsp) sesame oil
- (2 tsp) honey or maple syrup
- (1/4 tsp) freshly grated or ground ginger
- (1/4 tsp) fresh ground black pepper
- (1/3 C) cashews, chopped
- (1 head) green leaf or butter lettuce
- cooked white or brown rice
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion for 3-5 minutes, then add the carrots and bell pepper and saute for about 7 minutes more. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ground chicken and break up with a spatula until cooked through about 15 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, ginger, and black pepper.
- Remove the cooked chicken from the skillet and pour into a large bowl. Add the chopped cashews and the sauce and toss together.
- Serve wrapped up in butter lettuce leaves with a side of fresh cooked rice and top with sriracha.